Michiganders Encouraged to Change Batteries in Smoke, Carbon Detectors for Daylight Saving Time
March 10, 2017 – When setting your clocks ahead one hour for daylight saving time this Sunday, March 12, the State Fire Marshal is urging Michigan citizens to change the batteries in all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. Installing and maintaining smoke detectors is the single most important thing you can do to protect your family from fire. Deaf and hard of hearing citizens should equip their homes with alert devices such as high intensity strobe lights, and pillow or bed shakers that are activated by the sound of a standard smoke alarm.
“Smoke alarms that work properly greatly increase a family’s chance of surviving a home fire and are a small investment in ensuring the safety of your family,” said State Fire Marshal Julie Secontine. “If a fire occurs in your home, there may be very little time before the fire and smoke spread. Smoke alarms and alert devices provide an early warning for everyone to safely escape.”
Never disable any smoke alarm or carbon monoxide detector, and be aware that the “chirp” sound from an alarm means it’s time to change the battery. Smoke alarms should be installed outside of every bedroom and on all levels of the home.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, an estimated three out of every five home fire deaths occur in houses without working smoke detectors – the majority of which have missing or dead batteries.
In addition, all households, especially those with small children, should develop and practice an escape plan in the event of a home fire. Designate a clear meeting place outside of the home and call 911 from a safe location. Families can help emergency responders by staying together outside of the home.
Secontine also recommends citizens install and test carbon monoxide alarms, which detect deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that can be fatal. At a minimum, each floor of your home should be equipped with a carbon monoxide detector. If a carbon monoxide alarm sounds leave your home right away and call 9-1-1.
Visit the Bureau of Fire Services website for more fire safety information.
Follow LARA on Twitter http://twitter.com/michiganLARA
“Like” them on Facebook or find them on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/michiganLARA\
More in News: