Flint families can get nutritious food; dates announced
for February mobile food bank stops
LANSING, Mich. – Flint families may get nutritious food that can limit the effects of lead exposure during mobile food pantry hours set for February at locations throughout Flint.
The Food Bank of Eastern Michigan in Flint and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services are announcing the upcoming schedule for mobile food pantry stops to distribute foods rich in calcium, vitamin C and iron.
Each family will receive nutritional food such as tuna, baked beans, potatoes, cereal and carrots. The program began in February 2016 as part of Gov. Rick Snyder’s $28 million supplemental budget request for Flint and is continuing with state funding in the fiscal year 2017 budget. Flint families have received more than 2 million pounds of food through the project.
Food distribution sites remain open while supplies last. Upcoming dates are:
- Wednesday, Feb. 1, at 10 a.m. – Hispanic Tech Center, 2101 Lewis St.
- Thursday, Feb. 2, at 11 a.m. – Faith Gospel Temple, 1525 Kent St.
- Saturday, Feb. 4, at 11 a.m. – Flint First Wesleyan Church, 3825 Davison Road.
- Thursday, Feb. 9, at 10 a.m. – Asbury United Methodist Church, 1653 Davison Road.
- Saturday, Feb. 11, at 1 p.m. – Salem Lutheran Church, 2610 Martin Luther King Ave.
- Wednesday Feb. 15, at 10 a.m. – Hispanic Tech Center, 2101 Lewis St.
- Friday, Feb. 17, at noon – St. Luke’s New Life Center, 3115 Lawndale St.
- Friday, Feb. 17, at noon – United Methodist Community Center, 4601 Clio Road.
- Saturday, Feb. 18, at 10 a.m. – Flint Muslim Food Pantry, 4400 S. Saginaw St.
- Tuesday, Feb. 21, at 11 a.m. – North End Soup Kitchen, 735 E. Stewart Ave.
- Tuesday, Feb. 21, at noon – St. Michael Catholic Church, 609 E. Fifth Ave.
- Friday, Feb. 24, at 10 a.m. – My Brother’s Keeper, 101 N. Grand Traverse.
- Saturday, Feb. 25, at 1 p.m. – Salem Lutheran Church, 2610 Martin Luther King Ave.
Information about additional food distribution dates will be announced as they are scheduled. For more information, visit the Food Bank website at www.FBEM.org or call 810-239-4441.
Peters, Stabenow, Kildee: “President Trump, Don’t Jeopardize Flint Funding”