The Get Covered America team is working to spread the word to consumers across Michigan about their health care options and let them know how they can enroll. Staff and volunteers are going door to door, talking to folks at churches and community centers, and working with partners like Michigan Consumers for Healthcare, the Michigan Primary Care Association, Blue Cross Blue Shield Michigan, and the Association of County Health Plansto make sure every Michigander is aware of the opportunity to enroll in quality health care coverage.
· If you don’t have health insurance — or if your insurance doesn’t cover the care you need — starting October 1st, there will be a new way for you find a quality health care plan for you and your family through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Open enrollment starts October 1, 2013. Plans and prices will be available then. Coverage starts as soon as January 1, 2014.
· Depending on how much you earn, you might qualify for a low-cost health plan. Financial help may be available to lower your monthly costs or what you pay when you go to the doctor. To see if you are eligible for financial help, try this calculator prepared by the Kaiser Family Foundation.
· There will be a range of plans offered so you can find one that fits your life and your budget. All of the plans offered through the Marketplace will cover essentials, like doctor visits, lab work, hospital stays, emergency room services, maternity care, prescriptions, mental health services and more.
· Under the new Marketplace, health insurance plans will be clearly laid out so you can compare coverage, rates, and options in plain, simple language without the fine print. Also, you can rest assured knowing that you and your family will be protected from the unexpected financial risk that comes with a sudden illness or broken bone.
· Best of all, no one will be turned away for having a pre-existing condition.
· You can take the first step TODAY by visiting healthcare.gov to create a personal Marketplace Account. The quick, easy process will help you find out what your options are and what information you need to gather to enroll once the Marketplace opens on October 1st.
· Visit GetCoveredAmerica.org to sign up for updates, find out what’s going on in your state, and help get the word out to friends and family.
Facts on the uninsured in Michigan:
According to the Department of Health and Human Services, there are over a million (1,145,489 to be exact) uninsured Michiganders who will be able to enroll in coverage starting October 1.*
Compared to the uninsured nationally, the uninsured in Michigan are:**
Find out more:
Get Covered America is a national grassroots campaign being conducted by Enroll America – the nation’s leading healthcare enrollment coalition – to raise awareness and engage consumers about the new health insurance options available to them through the Affordable Care Act and connect them with assistance in their community who can help them sign up for the plan that’s right for them beginning in October. Find out more atGetCoveredAmerica.org
About Enroll America
Enroll America is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to maximize the number of uninsured Americans who enroll in health coverage made available by the Affordable Care Act. Enroll America is a collaborative organization, working with partners that span the gamut of health coverage stakeholders to engage many different voices in support of an easy, accessible, and widely available enrollment process.